Sunday, December 16, 2012

Potato and Double-Corn Chowder


I was really skeptical about this recipe. If I am going to make soup, I want it to be truly homemade. The frozen potatoes worried me, but the end result put my worries to rest. Now that I don't work from home every day, I am open to shortcuts as long as it turns out as delicious as this. I did make some additions and changes, which I have included in the recipe below. You can find the original recipe here.

Whatever you do, do NOT skip the french fried onions when serving. I added these last minute as I had some leftover from Thanksgiving cooking. I think they MAKE this soup.



Ingredients:
  • One 32 ounce bag frozen diced southern-style potatoes, thawed (I used Ore-Ida Hashbrowns diced Southern-Style Potatoes)
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 can (15.25 ounces) whole kernel corn, undrained
  • 1 can (14.75 ounces) cream-style corn
  • 1 medium onion 
  • 8 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika (or more to taste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (or more to taste)
  • French's french fried onions for serving
  • 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
 Directions:
  • Spray 3 to 4 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix all ingredients except evaporated milk and french fried onions.
  • Cover; cook on low heat setting 6-8 hours until potatoes are tender. Just before serving, increase heat to high setting. Stir in milk; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until chowder is hot.
  • Serve with french fried onions sprinkled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment